Surviving the Applewhites
by Stephanie Tolan
After another school has kicked Jake out, an artistic, eccentric family takes him in so that he can attend their home school "Creative Academy," which basically means that they do what they want. Jake plans to take advantage of all this freedom, but soon the Applewhites' individuality and passion rub off on him.
The quirky characters and offbeat humor make for a laugh-out-loud comedy.
- Newbery Honor Book
- American Library Association Notable Children's Book
- American Library Association Best Fiction for Young Adults
- American Library Association Booklist Editors' Choice
- New York Public Library Books for the Teen Age
- Book Links Lasting Connection
- Smithsonian Magazine Notable Book for Children
- American Library Association Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults
- New York Public Library's "One Hundred Titles for Reading and Sharing"
- School Library Journal Best Book
Level: Gr. 5-8 DRA Level: 50 Lexile Measure: 820L
Grade Equivalent: 5.5 Guided Reading: T
There are three different book covers available for this book. Currently, the one on the right seems to be the most commonly sold version in the US (ie: on Amazon).
This book was an honoree for the prestigious Newbery Award for best children's literature. Click to see the full list of Newbery Award Winners.