Hitler Youth: Growing Up in Hitler's Shadow
by Susan Campbell Bartoletti
The Hitler Youth numbered 3.5 million, the largest youth group in ever. The author tells how children became loyal to Hitler, who took advantage of their innocence and enthusiasm to do evil. Follows 12 youth and their experiences, using histories, diaries, interviews, and letters.
This book "challenges young readers to prevent history from repeating itself." (School Library Journal)
- Horn Book Fanfare Award 2005
- American Library Association Best Books for Young Adults 2006
- American Library Association Notable Children's Book
- National Council for Social Studies Notable Social Studies Trade Book
- National Council for Teachers of English Orbis Pictus Honor
- American Library Association Sibert Informational Book Honor 2006
Level: Gr. 5-10 DRA Level: 70 Lexile Measure: 1050L
Grade Equivalent: 7.8 Guided Reading: Z
This book was an honoree for the prestigious Newbery Award for best children's literature. Click to see the full list of Newbery Award Winners.