of Buxton is an entertaining and educational mix of history,
adventure, and personal growth.
It tells the story of Elijah (age 11) and his family, who live in Buxton, Canada, a settlement of runaway slaves. Everyone thinks Elijah is fragile, scared, and talks too much, but when a former slave steals money from Elijah's friend--money needed to buy his family's freedom-- it's Elijah who tracks down the thief. It's a journey that could make him a hero...if he can find his way back home.
Your children / students will laugh out loud at Elijah's antics and the situations he finds himself in, yet they will also find themselves at the edge of their seats, eager to find out if Elijah makes it safely back to Buxton.
Curtis packs in the historical details, including more about the real settlement of Buxton. We agree with Booklist's starred review, which referred to this title as "a fine, original novel from a gifted storyteller."
- Newbery Honor 2008
- National Council of Social Studies Notable Social Studies Book 2008
- American Library Association Notable Book
- American Library Association Coretta Scott King Award 2008
- Scott O'Dell Award for Historical Fiction 2008
- School Library Journal Best Book of 2007
- Horn Book Magazine Fanfare Award 2007
- Women's International League for Peace and Freedom Honor
Level: Grade 5-8 DRA Level: 60 Lexile Measure: 1070L
Grade Equivalent: 6.0 Guided Reading: W
There are two available book covers for this book. We like them both. Tough call!
This is a great book, but if it's not exactly the book you are looking for, you can see: