The life of botanist, inventor, and educator George Washington Carver is beautifully portrayed in this collection of poems, a celebration of his character and accomplishments in a time when few black Americans were given much respect. Illustrated with historic photos, this title will "undoubtedly encourage some young people to learn more about this remarkable man." (School Library Journal)
Awards won by this book
- Newbery Award Honor 2002
- National Book Award Honor 2001
- American Library Association Notable Book
- American Library Association Best Book for Young Adults
- American Library Association Coretta Scott King Honor
- National Council for Social Studies Notable Book
- Boston Globe-Horn Book Award & Fanfare Award
Reading Levels: Interest Level: Grade 6+ / Grade Equivalent: 7.1 / Lexile Measure: 890L
Now that you've seen this great book, what would you like to see now? Please note that as an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
This book was an honoree for the prestigious Newbery Award for best children's literature. Click to see the full list of Newbery Award Winners.